I have many guilty pleasures because the things I like are generally kind of tacky. My friends are all pretty style-y and classy-tastic, so I try to keep my shameful fondness for horrific twee and ostentation in check around them
So deep breath here we go. I know you'll forgive me. I guess. Maybe.
- Pier One Imports. I like Pier One Imports. So sue me. I like shiny stuff and if you are in the market for shiny stuff, which I always, always am, you can be sure you’re going to find it at Pier One Imports. I go there all the time and never buy anything because I can’t seem to justify spending all that money on - let’s be honest - crap. Pier One Imports is to home accessories what Forever 21 is to fashion: you feel kind of like trash when you go in, but dammit, it just feels sooooo gooood.
I went into Pier One today to get some shiny crap with which to decorate the house for the few social gatherings I am hosting over the next couple of weeks. No one who will be coming will care whether my house is like the Swisshorn Gold Palace Hotel in Hong Kong.
|Swisshorn Gold Palace Hotel in Hong Kong|
|I would totally live in this place.|
But I will. I really, really will. Thank you Pier One Imports for allowing me to decorate my home like a whore.
|Breakfast nook. Too much?|
- Fruit Jellies from Laura Secord.
The candy for old ladies who think they’re classy, but really aren’t. Also, a good candy for people with no teeth. I have teeth. For now.
- The Babys. No, not human babies. The band, The Babys from the 1970s that had a few albums of totally digestible pop music lead by John Waite who later went solo and churned out solo digestible pop. I will always sing along to The Babys. Loudly.
|The guy in the lower left corner. Yah. I know. I would, too.|
- Keanu Reeves. Just shut up.
- Videos with talking animals. Or dancing baby animals.
I have eaten two rows as a meal on more than one occasion. That’s about 800 calories. Of crackers. Yes. I know.
- White french bulldogs. They look like grunty little pigs on leashes.
|If you don't like this, you are a sociopath.|
- Lady Stores where they sell home accents and bits and bobs. Like Pier One, but not so trashy - more Shabby Chic. Everything is painted white and there are always chandeliers and crystal handles for those refinishing projects I am too lazy and incompetent to undertake.
anthropologie. Weird, man repelling clothes. Weird decorating for women destined to be Old Maids. I think it'd be worth it.
|Only ladies need apply|
|Mmm, I can feel the twee.|
|Chatelet, in Toronto|